Thursday, October 9, 2014

Fake


So, I have a confession. The title of my blog is a lie. I AM a mom, and I DO drive a minivan, but the truth is, if you walked into my home today, the word "minimalist" is not what will come to your mind. On the days I feel defeated, this hammers me down. But most of the time it serves as my reminder. "Minimalist" is my goal label, my muse. I use it because if I titled my blog "Super-Messy Borderline-Hoarder Minivan Mom" I don't think you'd read it. And because that is who I was, not who I am becoming. If you have a spare twenty minutes today, Watch this talk by Amy Cuddy. I know, it is titled something about body language, right? Well, it is, but it is also about so much more, and you should watch it.

It is amazing how something as simple as a few posture changes how the world sees you, for better or worse. In her personal story in which she has to "fake" her way through Harvard (You did watch it, right? Really. Watch it. Now). This experience has obviously fueled her work, and injects passion into her story. Amy's research and story confirms what I have heard for years from my pastor, teachers, and other leaders in my life. It is solid advice, and I am on my way to take it to the bank. 

I may not be a Minimalist yet, but each day I get up, I choose to wear this label, submit my plans before the Lord, process my emotions through writing, and act like I am one already. Because I am not going to fake it until I make it. I am going to fake until I become it. 

Have Peace & Purge On

No comments:

Post a Comment