Thursday, October 2, 2014

Given & Gained: Day TWO. Managing Kid's Clothing


Happy Thursday. My day started out with three of these bins overflowing with pink girlie goodness. We have been so blessed with hand-me-downs at this house. I cannot go without saying this because my last desire is to give the impression that I am in any way ungrateful for the abundance. I am not. I am over the moon! However, in my effort to relentlessly pursue freedom via simplicity, I have to come to the point where enough is more than enough. So a few months ago I made my "list." I specified exactly how much of what I would keep in each size, then I trimmed down to that list (or close to it!). Funny thing was, the clothes still managed to multiply, and now that we have crossed the threshold into fall, I am ready to purge again so I can actually find the clothes that best suit my kiddos. And so I have less laundry to do. 

By the way…I want to make sure you all know I have three little girls quite close in age-hence the need to cover all seasons in each size! 


Without further ado, here is my list. I keep the clothes limited to this list in *each size*

Clothing:
4 pairs of jeans
4 long sleeved shirts
4 tees
4 tanks
2 hoodies
4 pairs of shorts
4 winter sleepers/jammies
4 summer sleepers/jammies
6 summer dresses
6 winter dresses
3 sweaters
2 jackets
1 warm coat
2 skirts
2 swimsuits
6 leggings
For sizes 12-18 months and under I add
4-6 rompers/all in one type outfits

Shoes (for those walking):
1 pair of sandals
1 pair of sneakers
1 pair of casual dress shoes
1 pair of boots
1 pair of dress shoes

This list. I have no idea if it will seem long or short to you, dear reader, but it is my thread to sanity. It is NOT a list to complete. If I only have three winter dresses in 3T, I do not go out and buy three more. But if I have eight "adorable I cannot believe how cute they are" summer dresses in 2T, guess what. That is two too many. They must go. I have found if I make room for one thing, I will compromise again, and the next thing I know I have a jillion little girl clothes. 

So today, I boxed up all the summer stuff for all the kids (including swimsuits for next year I found super cheap online-hooray!), and it is now in a well-labeled box in my garage. As a result of going through this list again, daughter number one's bin had to lose two pairs of jeans. Therefore today:





Given: 2 Pairs of cute 3T jeans. 








Gained: the JOY of passing on blessing. For real-six months ago we had NO 3T pairs of jeans. I gave the shout-out, and had four hand-me-downs within a week. Since then the girl had a birthday (and received two pairs), I found one on clearance, and I redeemed a $10 off Khol's coupon to buy her best pair AND a Hello Kitty shirt (she freaked out) for $0.37. Now I can pass these jeans that are in great condition to another momma who is now in my previous shoes. You double the happy when you give & receive!


Have Peace, & Purge On!

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of creating a list of things to keep! We are also very blessed with hand me downs and lots of clothes as birthday gifts so often I find my kids having way too many clothes and have to start narrowing down but I hadn't thought about creating a list. I think I am going to do this before their birthday party next week so I can be ready in advance.
    Also, if you don't mind, I would love to link to this post in a couple of weeks when I get to de-hoarding my kids clothes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clothing is a big deal for my big family. If I don't manage it well, it takes over the rooms.

    ReplyDelete